Collapse-all
Karl Schmidt
2015-08-22 01:45:18 UTC
I think there was a way to collapse all folders when doing a directory compare before? Can't find
it now? Was it removed? Could it be added?

( I have upgraded to Debian Jessie and find my favorite tool (meld) has changed a lot)

I often use meld when upgrading systems looking at /etc - Seems it would be grand if there was a way
to re-scan just a single sub-directory.

I really appreciate this software - sometimes emails can seem more complaining than I mean - I'm
hoping that these features could be considered and hope my feedback is helpful.

PS: Again, I don't want to be negative, but the new user interface for selecting folders and files
seems less rather than more intuitive. I used to be able to choose one of several recent
files/directories to compare.. I used that feature a lot.

Karl Schmidt EMail ***@xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc. WEB https://secure.transtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049 FAX (785) 841-3089

Merchandise offered without a price,
is sure to cost more than it is worth. -kps
Karl Schmidt
2015-08-22 17:00:00 UTC
Post by Karl Schmidt
I think there was a way to collapse all folders when doing a directory
compare before? Can't find it now? Was it removed? Could it be added?
Yes, and it was removed. Hopefully it will be re-added soon.
In the meantime, I'm (almost always) using the latest 1.x version.
You can download older versions (which I did.)
Post by Karl Schmidt
I often use meld when upgrading systems looking at /etc - Seems it would
be grand if there was a way to re-scan just a single sub-directory.
Still possible, but more awkward to do than before
Post by Karl Schmidt
PS: Again, I don't want to be negative, but the new user interface for
selecting folders and files seems less rather than more intuitive. I
used to be able to choose one of several recent files/directories to
compare.. I used that feature a lot.
Me too. Another reason why I still use the older version. But the new
version does have certain enhancements. (Like comparing only file size
and or change date, and showing file date and time.)
Kai Willadsen
2015-08-22 21:03:00 UTC
Post by Karl Schmidt
Post by Karl Schmidt
I think there was a way to collapse all folders when doing a directory
compare before? Can't find it now? Was it removed? Could it be added?
Yes, and it was removed. Hopefully it will be re-added soon.
In the meantime, I'm (almost always) using the latest 1.x version.
You can download older versions (which I did.)
I don't think this is accurate. To the best of my recollection, I
don't think we ever provided a way to collapse all folders. You
*could* have collapsed and re-expanded the parent folder, because we
incorrectly failed to remember the expansion state... which has been
fixed.

Can I ask why you want to do this?
Post by Karl Schmidt
Post by Karl Schmidt
I often use meld when upgrading systems looking at /etc - Seems it would
be grand if there was a way to re-scan just a single sub-directory.
Still possible, but more awkward to do than before
We've never been able to rescan just part of the tree, so I'm not sure
how this has changed at all. Could you maybe explain what you want to
do?
Post by Karl Schmidt
Post by Karl Schmidt
PS: Again, I don't want to be negative, but the new user interface for
selecting folders and files seems less rather than more intuitive. I
used to be able to choose one of several recent files/directories to
compare.. I used that feature a lot.
We moved to using the standard GTK+ file chooser a while ago, and its
UI is what we get.

cheers,
Kai
Karl Schmidt
2015-08-29 05:28:01 UTC
Kai Willadsen
2015-10-03 22:35:16 UTC
Post by Karl Schmidt
Post by Kai Willadsen
Post by Karl Schmidt
Post by Karl Schmidt
I think there was a way to collapse all folders when doing a directory
compare before? Can't find it now? Was it removed? Could it be added?
Yes, and it was removed. Hopefully it will be re-added soon.
In the meantime, I'm (almost always) using the latest 1.x version.
You can download older versions (which I did.)
I don't think this is accurate. To the best of my recollection, I
don't think we ever provided a way to collapse all folders. You
*could* have collapsed and re-expanded the parent folder, because we
incorrectly failed to remember the expansion state... which has been
fixed.
Can I ask why you want to do this?
Apparently, I was enjoying the effects of that bug<grin>.. In migrating
systems we often look at /etc and finding things in the order needed is
much faster if the directories are all closed - otherwise it ends up being
a very long list to scroll though and a pain to close the folders not
needed at that time. (I'm pretty sure others use meld for the same job.) It
sure would be cool to have a keystroke that would collapse-all.
Sorry, I just completely lost this email.

So I'm tempted to say we should just add a keybinding signal for expand-all
and collapse-all, but not actually add a binding. This would mean you can
customise it as desired, but also means that we don't need to worry about
e.g., adding menu items, actions, making keybinding decisions, etc. I'm not
sure when I'll get around to this though; could you please file a bug?

cheers,
Kai
Andrew Beyer
2015-10-04 11:42:12 UTC
Was what you had in mind something along these lines? I had poked at
this a while ago, but never really finished...could probably flesh
this out if there is interest.
Post by Kai Willadsen
Post by Karl Schmidt
Kai Willadsen
2015-10-04 22:59:11 UTC
Post by Andrew Beyer
Was what you had in mind something along these lines? I had poked at
this a while ago, but never really finished...could probably flesh
this out if there is interest.
Yeah, something like that would be pretty good. Depending on how much
effort you want to go to, I'd vaguely suggest that it could be an
expand/collapse toggle, and it could instead also only expand/collapse
the children of the current node in the tree (in this case, the expand
would recursively expand all child nodes indiscriminately... nothing
tricky).

However, like I said I probably wouldn't actually add a default
keybinding for this, so if you'd rather not go to the bother that
probably wouldn't stop me pulling in the patch.

cheers,
Kai
Andrew Beyer