Meld 1.7.2 released
Kai Willadsen
2013-04-15 22:02:14 UTC
Meld 1.7.2 has been released.

Features:

* In version control view, conflicts now open in a three-way merge mode
for Bazaar and Git, with other VCs to follow (Louis des Landes)
* Manual synchronisation of split points for comparisons (Piotr Piastucki,
Kai Willadsen)
* The "Ignore blank lines" setting is now used in folder comparisons, in
same manner as text filters (Kai Willadsen)

Fixes:

* Many minor Windows compatibility fixes (Vincent Legoll, Robert Wahler,
Kai Willadsen)
* Version control compatibility updates and fixes (Manuel Siggen, Kai
Willadsen)
* Better handling of Unicode filenames (Kai Willadsen)
* Better support for cross-platform newline behaviour, particularly on
Windows (Kai Willadsen)
* Sensitivity fixes for file and folder comparisons (Kai Willadsen)
* Build and installation fixes (Kalev Lember, Kai Willadsen)

Translations:

* Daniel Mustieles (es)
* Gabor Kelemen (hu)
* Marek Černocký (cs)
* Martin Srebotnjak (sl).
* Matej Urbančič (sl)
* Мирослав Николић (sr, ***@latin)
* Piotr Drąg (pl)
* Rafael Ferreira (pt_BR)

This release can be downloaded from:

http://download.gnome.org/sources/meld/1.7/meld-1.7.2.tar.xz

What is Meld?
-------------

Meld is a visual diff and merge tool. It lets you compare two or three files,
and updates the comparisons while you edit them in-place. You can also compare
folders, launching comparisons of individual files as desired. Last but by no
means least, Meld lets you work with your current changes in a wide variety of
version control systems, including Git, Bazaar, Mercurial, Subversion and CVS.
Keegan Witt
2013-04-15 23:49:41 UTC
I've updated the installer for Windows with this new release:
https://code.google.com/p/meld-installer/

-Keegan
Post by Kai Willadsen
Meld 1.7.2 has been released.
[...]
* Marek ČernockÃœ (cs)
* Martin Srebotnjak (sl).
* Matej Urbančič (sl)
* Piotr Drąg (pl)
* Rafael Ferreira (pt_BR)
Mark Mikofski
2013-04-17 18:34:59 UTC
[...]
Hi Kai,

Thanks!
$ ./meld
  File "c:/meld/bin/meld", line 98, in <module>
    libintl = cdll.intl
  File
"c:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 435, in __getattr__
    dll = self._dlltype(name)
  File "c:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 365, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
WindowsError: [Error 126] The specified module could not be found
$ ./meld
Couldn't bind the translation domain. Some translations won't work.
function 'bindtextdomain' not found
g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed
./meld:167: GtkWarning: Could not find the icon 'gtk-file'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
        http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases
  gtk.main()
**
Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
and then python crashes.

Windows 7 x64
python 2.7.3 x64
meld 1.7.2

Thanks,
Mark Mikofski
poquitopicante.blogspot.com
breakingbytes.blogspot.com
www.breaking-bytes.com
Kai Willadsen
2013-04-17 20:02:36 UTC
Post by Mark Mikofski
Hi Kai,
Thanks!
$ ./meld
File "c:/meld/bin/meld", line 98, in <module>
libintl = cdll.intl
File
"c:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 435, in __getattr__
dll = self._dlltype(name)
File "c:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 365, in __init__
self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
WindowsError: [Error 126] The specified module could not be found
I have no idea about libintl packaging. I assumed that GTK or PyGTK or
something would include it.

It *is* required for translations to work properly. If anyone knows
about this stuff Windows-side, and can tell me that I can't rely on it
being present, then it's not difficult to reproduce the old try/except
behaviour here. However, given the below problem I'm currently
inclined to think it's an installation issue.
Post by Mark Mikofski
$ ./meld
Couldn't bind the translation domain. Some translations won't work.
function 'bindtextdomain' not found
g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed
./meld:167: GtkWarning: Could not find the icon 'gtk-file'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases
gtk.main()
**
Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)
<snip>

This just looks like a broken install to me. I don't know that we
expect Meld to function without an icon theme installed. I know
~nothing about Windows GTK+ packaging options, but I test with the
PyGtk all-in-one installer, making it pretty much the only 'supported'
option. However, Keegan's installer is high on the list, and may well
be a better option.

cheers,
Kai
Mark Mikofski
2013-04-18 00:31:04 UTC
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: Meld 1.7.2 released
[...]

Thanks for your response!

TL;DR: libintl is **not** problem. I was able to link it. hi-color-icon-theme also **not** issue. I installed it. No icon shows for "version control". See more details below:

1. I linked to the wrong file, but that's obviously not the problem. I am using `GTK/runtime`, but I was looking in `lib`, but the `libintl` is in `bin`. But for some reason python doesn't like `cdll.intl`, I have to use the following:

    intl = cdll.LoadLibrary("libintl-8.dll")

and then it loads fine. So that is obviously _not_ the problem. So I don't think you need the try/except behavior unless you want to try it using LoadLibrary and libintl-8, which may fail on some systems without PyGTK/GTK+ which I assume all have the same version of gettext.

2. as I stated in #1, I _am_ using PyGTK/GTK+ all-in-one bundle, but I am using the x64 versions - GTK+, version 2.22.1 is from gnome [1] and PyGTK, same version, is from Christoph Gohlke [2]. I'm not sure if that is the difference. Is it possible that my version is too old for meld now?

3. here is the windows python crash report:

    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
      Application Name:python.exe
      Application Version:0.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:4f84a524
      Fault Module Name:libglib-2.0-0.dll
      Fault Module Version:2.26.1.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:4d1b271d
      Exception Code:40000015
      Exception Offset:000000000005180e
      OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
      Locale ID:1033
      Additional Information 1:4718
      Additional Information 2:47183f87aa8b47fd333da005fc9f3c8c
      Additional Information 3:dd09
      Additional Information 4:dd097b52c7f2c82fc07702abf5dd2229

    Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

    If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

4. I installed the hi-color-icon-theme, and I don't get that warning anymore, but the other message is still there. here is the traceback **with** hi-color theme installed

    $ meld

    (python.exe:3296): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed
    **
    Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)

    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

5. So what I've noticed is that the new version control icon is X-ed out as if it can't be found. Could that be what is causing the crash? bizarre

I will try to troubleshoot more if I get a chance. Thanks!

[1] http://www.gtk.org/download/win64.php
[2] http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
Keegan Witt
2013-04-18 04:19:43 UTC
If I'm understanding you right, Meld crashes when you launch it. If so,
Kai's probably right and it's a Python install issue. If you use my
installer, it comes with Python so you can leave your existing Python
installation alone. I eat my own dog food, and I don't think you'll find
this error with my installer.

However, it does raise a question for me. Is the icon on the "version
control button" correct? Now that I think about it, it seems a bit of an
odd icon (with the red X). I just wanted to make sure it's not some
default fallback.
[image: Inline image 1]
Does that look right?

-Keegan
Kai Willadsen
2013-04-18 20:16:51 UTC
Post by Keegan Witt
If I'm understanding you right, Meld crashes when you launch it. If so,
Kai's probably right and it's a Python install issue. If you use my
installer, it comes with Python so you can leave your existing Python
installation alone. I eat my own dog food, and I don't think you'll find
this error with my installer.
However, it does raise a question for me. Is the icon on the "version
control button" correct? Now that I think about it, it seems a bit of an
odd icon (with the red X). I just wanted to make sure it's not some
default fallback.
Does that look right?
That definitely does *not* look right. That's GTK's fallback missing icon.
The new VC icon is in SVG format, and apparently GTK on Windows doesn't
support SVG out-of-the-box.

I've just committed a fix that moves the svg out of the way in favour of a
png of the same file; I'm assuming that Windows will cope fine with this
option.

cheers,
Kai
Kai Willadsen
2013-04-18 20:43:55 UTC
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:02 PM
Post by Mark Mikofski
2. as I stated in #1, I _am_ using PyGTK/GTK+ all-in-one bundle, but I am
using the x64 versions - GTK+, version 2.22.1 is from gnome [1] and PyGTK,
same version, is from Christoph Gohlke [2].
<snip>

I think this is the problem here. The PyGTK all-in-one installers
explicitly don't support x64 versions. In addition, you shouldn't
(AFAIK) be using the binaries from gtk.org. The PyGTK installers
theoretically come with everything you should need, and there may be
some weird issues arising from having both the GTK binaries and the
PyGTK installer binaries on the same system.

cheers,
Kai
Mark Mikofski
2013-04-19 00:33:48 UTC
Post by Kai Willadsen
<snip>
Post by Mark Mikofski
2. as I stated in #1, I _am_ using PyGTK/GTK+ all-in-one bundle, but I am
using the x64 versions - GTK+, version 2.22.1 is from gnome [1] and PyGTK,
same version, is from Christoph Gohlke [2].
<snip>
I think this is the problem here. The PyGTK all-in-one installers
explicitly don't support x64 versions. In addition, you shouldn't
(AFAIK) be using the binaries from gtk.org. The PyGTK installers
theoretically come with everything you should need, and there may be
some weird issues arising from having both the GTK binaries and the
PyGTK installer binaries on the same system.
cheers,
Kai
I have been using this setup for a long time now, it is what Christoph explicitly recommends [1], "PyGTK [2] is a wrapper for the GTK+ [3] library. Requires the GTK+ 2.22 [4] runtime."

**And it works _fine_ with meld-1.6.1.** It also works fine with Geany. But the version of gtk is old, 2.22, and the corresponding gnome libraries are also old, so maybe that's the culprit?

I did a quick google search on the topic and this issue is pretty ubiquitous, and not just with windows. The issue does appear to be related to an icon theme that is not on the target machine, and the solution is always to install the icon theme, then all supposedly is well. [5]

I wonder if the new png icon will solve the problem? - Nope! I can see the icon now, the first time I run it, but it crashes with that same error:

    Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)

And then it crashes everytime.

I also changed my gtkrc to say

    gtk-theme-name = "hicolor"

but that results in a hideous theme, so I switched it back to

    gtk-theme-name = "MS-Windows"

which looks like the windows 7 aero theme.

I am also trying to install the gnome-icon-theme, but it probably won't work. I guess we'll just have to wait until someone compiles PyGTK for Windows 7 x64. Until then I can use Keegan's x86 installer or more likely I'll just stick with 1.6.1.

Thanks!

[1] http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs
[2] http://www.pygtk.org/
[3] http://www.gtk.org/
[4] http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/
[5] http://jeffreybreen.wordpress.com/2010/12/11/fix-pspp-psppire-crash-on-launch/
Kai Willadsen
2013-04-19 20:02:10 UTC
Post by Mark Mikofski
Post by Kai Willadsen
<snip>
Post by Mark Mikofski
2. as I stated in #1, I _am_ using PyGTK/GTK+ all-in-one bundle, but I am
using the x64 versions - GTK+, version 2.22.1 is from gnome [1] and PyGTK,
same version, is from Christoph Gohlke [2].
<snip>
I think this is the problem here. The PyGTK all-in-one installers
explicitly don't support x64 versions. In addition, you shouldn't
(AFAIK) be using the binaries from gtk.org. The PyGTK installers
theoretically come with everything you should need, and there may be
some weird issues arising from having both the GTK binaries and the
PyGTK installer binaries on the same system.
cheers,
Kai
I have been using this setup for a long time now, it is what Christoph explicitly
recommends [1], "PyGTK [2] is a wrapper for the GTK+ [3] library. Requires
the GTK+ 2.22 [4] runtime."
For the record, these are *not* the all-in-one installers. See here:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygtk/2.24/
Post by Mark Mikofski
**And it works _fine_ with meld-1.6.1.** It also works fine with Geany. But the
version of gtk is old, 2.22, and the corresponding gnome libraries are also
old, so maybe that's the culprit?
Well... sort of. Reading your linked bug, it looks like this bug will
only (?) happen with GTK+ 2.22.x. Earlier versions have the stock icon
for missing, and later versions fixed the lookup crash.
Post by Mark Mikofski
Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)
This looks like we can blame the recent files feature, probably due to
it not being able to find the icon-name "meld" when looking up
recently used files for menu construction. This may be bad mime XML
installation, or something else. However, I don't know what, if
anything, can sensibly be done about this on our end.

cheers,
Kai
Mark Mikofski
2013-04-22 17:20:42 UTC
Post by Kai Willadsen
  old, so maybe that's the culprit?
Well... sort of. Reading your linked bug, it looks like this bug will
only (?) happen with GTK+ 2.22.x. Earlier versions have the stock icon
for missing, and later versions fixed the lookup crash.
     Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion
(retval != NULL)
This looks like we can blame the recent files feature, probably due to
it not being able to find the icon-name "meld" when looking up
recently used files for menu construction. This may be bad mime XML
installation, or something else. However, I don't know what, if
anything, can sensibly be done about this on our end.
cheers,
Kai
Thanks Kai. I'll either stick with the 32-bit version (w/ Keegan's
installer), or just keep using meld-1.6.1 since it works great. Thanks for all
your hard work!

@Keegan
- did you grab the png icon for the version control?
- do you have pygtksourceview included in the installer?
- you can get gnu patch win32 binary from gnuwin here:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm
it is a standalone binary

But unfortunately there is some conflict with UAC on >windows 7; see this:
http://math.nist.gov/oommf/software-patchsets/patch_on_Windows7.html

If you can get the line numbers, syntax highlighting and version control working with meld (any-version) then I will definitely switch to you installer and spread the word.

www.breaking-bytes.com
Keegan Witt
2013-04-23 02:13:40 UTC
1. I generally do not backport changes from git master unless there's
something very broken. This way, when I say an installer is release ###,
it matches what actually was released in ###. Otherwise, it could get
confusing for users reporting Meld bugs. So you won't find this fix
in the 1.7.2
installer <http://meld-installer.googlecode.com/files/meld-1.7.2.0.exe>,
but you will find it in the latest git master
installer<http://meld-installer.googlecode.com/files/meld-0.0.0.0.exe>(since
Kai has added a fix to the master branch).
2. Yes, PyGtkSourceView is included.
3. I'm aware Patch is available to download. I've just not looked into
what it would take to include in the install yet. It might be as simple as
just dumping the binary in there, I just have to do some experimenting.
Thanks for the link on UAC, I'll keep that in mind. I've not really used
that feature of Meld, can you tell me what doesn't work with my install so
I know what to look for in my testing?

-Keegan
Post by Mark Mikofski
Post by Mark Mikofski
Post by Kai Willadsen
Post by Mark Mikofski
I have been using this setup for a long time now, it is what
Christoph
Post by Mark Mikofski
Post by Kai Willadsen
explicitly
Post by Mark Mikofski
recommends [1], "PyGTK [2] is a wrapper for the GTK+ [3] library.
Requires
the GTK+ 2.22 [4] runtime."
Post by Mark Mikofski
**And it works _fine_ with meld-1.6.1.** It also works fine with
Geany. But
Post by Kai Willadsen
the
Post by Mark Mikofski
version of gtk is old, 2.22, and the corresponding gnome libraries
are
Post by Mark Mikofski
also
Daniel Macks
2013-04-23 02:54:53 UTC
Pushed to fink for OS X 10.5-10.8. Some technical detail regarding meld
line 105:

    # OS X doesn't appear to have bindtextdomain(). This will cause
    # gtk.Builder translations to fail.

the upstream bug is http://bugs.python.org/issue6154 but the fix only
appears to have been committed for release as of python3.1. It doesn't
actually appear to be a *mac* error, but rather general to any platform
that needs -lintl to get that function (fink does not do a "framework"
build of python). Fink's own python2.7 interp cherry-picked it and now
localization works on my mac. woot!

dan

--
Daniel Macks
***@netspace.org
Kai Willadsen
2013-04-27 04:26:34 UTC
Pushed to fink for OS X 10.5-10.8. Some technical detail regarding meld line
# OS X doesn't appear to have bindtextdomain(). This will cause
# gtk.Builder translations to fail.
the upstream bug is http://bugs.python.org/issue6154 but the fix only
appears to have been committed for release as of python3.1. It doesn't
actually appear to be a *mac* error, but rather general to any platform that
needs -lintl to get that function (fink does not do a "framework" build of
python). Fink's own python2.7 interp cherry-picked it and now localization
works on my mac. woot!
Thanks for the details. I've updated the comment, though it seems like
there's precious little we can do about it without bundling our own
Python...

cheers,
Kai